True or False? The Sun rises and sets at different times during the year
This is when the Sun is either at its lowest or highest position during the year…
This is the time of year when day and night time are equal…
‘Apparent Sun’ means..?
- The position of the sun in the sky at a given time
- The time we use on our watches
A solar day is..?
- The time it takes for the Sun to arrive at the same point in the sky as the previous day
- The time it takes for a star to be positioned at the same point in the sky as the previous day
A Sidereal day is 4 minutes longer than a Solar Day. Why?
- The Sun rises earlier
- Earth rotates around the Sun
- Earth is orbiting at the same time as rotating around the Sun
The Equation of Time is..?
- Apparent solar time - Mean solar time
- Apparent solar time + Mean solar time
- Apparent solar time = Mean solar time
What is a disadvantage if using a sundial to tell the time..?
- Do not work when the Sun cannot cast a shadow
- Does not work correctly if not precisely aligned
- Requires use of equation of time calculations to be accurate
This can be used to determine local noon and observer’s longitude..?
- Shadow Stick
What became the most accurate and reliable way to find longitude in the 18th Century onwards?
- Lunar Distance Method
- Horological Method