Navigate this section
Benefits & Drawbacks- Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits of the Earth's atmosphere to humankind
- Demonstrate an understanding of the drawbacks to astronomers of the Earth's atmosphere ...
Benefits of Earth's atmosphere
- Oxygen allows humans and animals to breathe.
- The atmosphere protects us from harmful ultraviolet radiation from the Sun
- Makes the climate and temperature of Earth consistent
- The atmosphere spreads out and scatters light from the Sun
- Protects us from micro meteorite collisions from space
There are some drawbacks also, though mostly for astronomers
- The atmosphere holds in some "greenhouse" gases that retain the heat of the Sun. These are necessary for life to continue on Earth however gases made as a result of human actions are causing the atmosphere to heat up which causes climate change.
- Clouds regularly obscure good astronomical viewing
- The atmosphere refracts light which means the position and clarity of star viewing is less accurate
- Pollution from light and chemicals obscure observations
- The atmosphere reflects most radiation making observations at some wavelengths weaker.
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of Earth's atmosphere?
- What are factors that decide where an Observatory is to be built or positioned?